Soccer is one of the most popular sports among bookies and bettors because it offers a plethora of betting possibilities. Soccer betting attracts thousands of new players every day, but the sheer complexity of the game is enough to confuse a significant portion of newbies.
Every soccer-oriented bettor should read the basic guidelines for new players as it will help him understand the fundamentals very quickly. We are here to help you with that, so keep reading to see a soccer betting guide for beginners.
Key concepts of soccer bookmaking
Every project starts from scratch and so does soccer betting. In order to play the game properly, you have to know the basic concepts of soccer bookmaking and how to distinguish between similar but different terms. We prepared a list of the most common terms you’ll hear among sportsbooks.
- Stake: A stake is simply the exact amount of money you are willing to spend on a single bet. If you end up having a winning ticket, then you are going to multiply the stake. But if you lose, you will never see your stake again.
- Bankroll: A bankroll is a total amount you have available for soccer betting. For instance, you can create an account to bet on Gamblizard Canada and place a deposit of $1,000. This is your bankroll, but you should use it with all due caution. Experienced bettors recommend using no more than 10% of your bankroll for a single bet. That way, you avoid putting all eggs in one basket and the playout becomes a more realistic option. To put it simply, you will be able to withdraw money more frequently.
- Banker: When players use the term banker, they mean that their bet is the winning one. There are no guarantees in soccer betting, but the banker is the closest thing to it.
- The 24-hour rule: Soccer games are postponed sometimes, so the bookie uses the 24-hour rule to regulate your ticket. When does it mean? Well, it means that a given match applies to your ticket in case it is played within 24 hours of the initial starting time.
- Accumulator: Every time you combine a set of single bets on the same ticket, you are actually playing accumulator. Accumulators are difficult to win, but they are also very generous because the odds accumulate and multiple.
Types of soccer bets
The number of soccer bets is almost infinite because modern bookmaking platforms give users the chance to choose their own betting options. However, some types of soccer bets are still far more popular than others and we want to give you a brief overview of the most common options. Here they are:
- Full-time result: This is by far the simplest betting option because you are only supposed to predict the winner of the game (or go for the draw). Of course, it doesn’t mean that predicting a full-time result is easy – it is just straightforward.
- Double chance: Another option is to double the odds of winning by choosing two out of three possible outcomes. For example, you can bet on a home team to win or draw, but that drastically decreases the odds of winning big.
- Handicaps: If you think one team is a heavy favorite, you can play a handicap and predict they will win with a 2+ goals difference.
- Correct score: Do you think you can predict the actual score of the match? If you are sure about that, the correct score is the way to go.
- Half-time/full-time result: If you are sure that one team is much better than the other, you can play this game and predict a half-time and full-time winner.
- Over/under: You are also free to predict the total number of goals per game. Bookies will usually set the mark at 2.5 or 3.5, so you can play over or under.
Important soccer betting tips
Now that you understand the key principles of soccer betting, the only thing left is to explain some of the major rules and tips that every bettor should follow. We will point out the most significant tips and hacks here:
- Focus on a few leagues: Instead of wandering around, you should focus on one or two leagues and become an expert. For instance, you can concentrate on EPL and Spain’s Primera Division.
- Watch a lot of games: You can’t learn football if you don’t watch it regularly. More matches mean more knowledge and a greater ability to predict final scores.
- Don’t overinvest: You should know your budget before investing in soccer betting.
- Follow experts: There are a few expert analysts and commentators who can teach you quite a few things about soccer, so make sure to follow them and listen to their opinions.
The bottom line
Soccer betting is not too complex, but the game has more than a couple of options and new players should certainly understand it before making any substantial moves. In this post, you could learn the following:
- The basic concepts of soccer betting
- Types of soccer bets
- Important soccer betting tips
These rules should be enough for you to kickstart a successful soccer betting career, but make sure to post a question in the comments section if you need additional explanations.
Mila Roy is a Content Strategist at Gamblizard and a passionate gambler. She loves watching soccer and placing bets on English Premier League matches. Besides that, Mila writes blog posts about online casinos and betting where she shares useful tips with her followers.