If you want to purchase a soccer ball for yourself, you can just go to the closest sports shop and choose any one that you like. It all depends on which design you’re feeling on that particular day and you’ve got yourself a soccer ball. However, if you’re purchasing one for kids — particularly ones who are not yet in their teenage years — you can’t just give them any regular-sized ball.
The ball needs to be the correct soccer ball size in order for any player to not only develop, but simply have fun. Nobody wants to kick a ball that is too small or too big. And little you may know, there are a number of different sizes for soccer balls which are meant for certain age groups.
Soccerballworld.com is here to provide you an in-depth guide.
Choosing the right size soccer ball
The first step in purchasing a soccer ball is determining the proper soccer ball size for your age group. Many soccer leagues have different size requirements, so be sure to check with your coach or organization to find out which is the proper size for the age group that the ball will be used with. Even if it isn’t for a soccer league and is just for a kid to play around with, there are certain sizes that are meant for certain age groups.
Soccer balls come in the following official sizes:
- Size 5 — Ages 12 and above
- Size 4 — Ages 8 to 12 years
- Size 3 — Ages 5 to 8 years
- Size 2 — Ages 3 to 5 years
- Size 1 — Under 3 years of age
- This is the international standard match ball for all ages 12 and older, including what all the professional players play with.
- The size 5 ball weighs between 14-16 ounces with a circumference of 27-28 inches.
- Because of its size, it isn’t ideal for kids below 12 as they may have trouble kicking or controlling the ball.
- Size 4 balls are used for players between the ages of eight and 12.
- Size 4 balls weigh between 12-13 ounces and have a circumference of 25-26 inches.
- It is a medium-sized ball which is ideal for youth soccer players who may not have developed enough physically to handle the Size 5 balls as of yet.
- Size 3 balls are smaller balls which are generally used for children aged five to eight.
- These balls are generally 23-24 inches in circumference and weigh between 11-12 ounces.
- Size 3 balls are the smallest used in games involving junior players.
- Size 2 soccer balls are one of the smallest balls and are generally used for children aged three to five.
- These balls are generally 20-22 inches in circumference and weigh between 8-9 ounces.
- Because of its small size, it is ideal for young kids who are starting to develop skills on their way to becoming competent players.
- Because of its small size, however, it can also be used by older players who are looking to improve their ball control, first touch and footwork.
- Size 1 balls iis the smallest socceer ball size available and are generally used for children aged below three.
- These balls are generally 18-20 inches in circumference and weigh 7 ounces.
- Although ideal for kids just getting started with the sport, like the size 2 ball, it can also be used by older players looking to improve their ball control, first touch and footwork.
So in conclusion, you cannot just buy any soccer ball you fancy. There are certain sizes that are meant for certain age groups to aid in their growth and development as players. A four-year-old will have trouble kicking a regular soccer ball size 5 ball and it will ultimately end up being a waste of money.
Not to mention, there are different uses as well. A regular size 5 ball may not be ideal for even professional players who are looking to improve their ball control whereas a smaller size 1 or 2 ball would help with much more benefits.
We hope this guide was helpful and you make the right purchase when you go soccer ball shopping!